First Trinity Missionary Baptist Church History; God’s Edifice
On Tuesday, April 24th, 1956, thirteen members of Mt. Olive Baptist Church met at the home of Mrs. Ray Garrett for the purpose of organizing a Missionary Baptist Church. At first they were known as “Christian Workers”, later they called themselves “Volunteer Baptist Missionary Movement.” This group of baptized believers in the Lord consisted of A. Calloway, Jetty M. Chick, A. Garrett, Bertha Hayes, Joseph Norman, Solomon Patillo, E.C. Robinson, Edith Robinson, H. Ross, W. C. Ross, Edward Waller, Rovenia Williams, and Bobbie Wilson.
These faithful few continued to meet at their homes, to work and trust in the Lord until they decided on the rental of the Eureka Lodge/Masonic Temple at 2014 Dwight Ave. Records indicates the name then was Trinity Baptist Church.
On June 8th, 1956, Reverend L. W. Pryor, Reverend of Antioch Baptist Church and a member of the Ministers Council, met with the members in their new church home. Other Reverends and Ministers of the city were in attendance also: Reverend Avery Aldridge, Associate Minister of Antioch (who later became Reverend of Foss Ave. Baptist Church) Reverend Isaac Epps, Reverend Good Hope Baptist Church, Reverend J.C. Curry, Reverend Macedonia Baptist Church, Reverend Matthew Montgomery, Reverend Mt. Calvary Baptist Church, Reverend Booth and Reverend Robinson of New Zion Baptist Church, Reverend C.R. Neal, Reverend of Shiloh Baptist Church, Reverend Gordon Robertson, Reverend of St. Paul Baptist Church and a representative from Mt. Olive Baptist Church. They were there to give counsel to the church and to lead them in becoming a duty organized church. The official date was set for June 15th, 1956. It was then the official name of the church would be First Trinity Missionary Baptist Church, the Articles of Faith and the Church Covenant would be their guide, and Reverend L. W. Pryor would be the church Moderator. He advised them to elect officers and offered guidance in selecting a Reverend: Reverends and Ministers of the churches represented volunteered to preach until then.